Tuesday 21 January 2014

Macs and Websites!





So, I have exciting news.

Gary got a new Macbook Pro! Which means... I got his old one!

 

Yes, I understand that not a lot of people would be that excited for a 6 year old computer, but it's better than my 2 year old HP so that's saying something. And we'll just ignore how the power cord is taped up with electric tape...

What I'm learning from using a Mac is that things are easier than I thought. Apple is pretty good at making user-friendly technology, and I'm excited to learn more and generally get better at using this computer!

Speaking of user-friendly... have you heard of Weebly?

I've started working on my website for ICT and holy cow, that is an easy program to use! I'm pretty sure I had to make a website for my computer class in grade 6, and it was awful. Like, really awful. Basically you had a choice of background colour, whether or not it was textured, and what font your text was.

Weebly is a biiiit more advanced than that. I'm able to choose from a variety of templates and then customize to my heart's desire. I'm working on putting together a potential classroom website, and other than the stock picture of the random teacher and her students on the home page, I'd say it's coming along nicely!

I've added an "about me" page so parents and students can get to know me better, and I plan on filling in the "students" and "parents" pages a bit more so they'll have all the information they need. I'm wanting to put together a Symbaloo page (see previous blog) for great student resources too. I have calendar on there too, which is connected to my google calendars (brilliant!) so I can update it anywhere, anytime, and it should update the class website (I say "should" because I haven't actually tried it yet...).

I have so much yet to do on this class website, but in the meantime, here's a link to it so far!

Mrs. Jennings' Classroom Website

Now, time to get back to work on that website!

No comments:

Post a Comment