Friday 30 January 2015

Following an Edublogger

The wonderful thing about teaching in this day and age is that there are tons of resources, lesson plans, and ideas online, and many of it is free for teachers!

One Edublogger that I've recently started following is Free Technology for Teachers, whose title sums up exactly what I look for in an edublogger. It focus a lot on technology that I already use, such as Google Docs, Google +, and iOS tips.

The creator of Free Technology for Teachers, Richard Byrne, is a former high school Social Studies teacher, Google Certified Teacher, and the recipient of many Edublogger awards. He posts multiple times a day and also does presentations around the world on using technology in the classroom.

I'll be honest - the reason I started following this blog was mainly because of the word "FREE". For a student like myself, free is the magic word. I once took a tour of the cafeteria just to get a free lunch, even though I'd been in that cafeteria multiple times before.

Free Technology for Teachers is a great blog, and I've learned a lot from following Richard. He recently posted about the 100 Word Challenge - a blog that posts a short writing prompt for students, and allows them to submit them and have them read by peers. The grade 5/6 students in my last placement used these writing prompts and read others' work, but did not post theirs online. It was great to hear Richard's thoughts on this platform, as I think it would be a good way to work with students' writing in class.

Along with posting technology blogs and tips on using technology, Richard also posts different resources for teaching our students. Today, Richard also posted some great resources on snow, specifically Scholastic's Interactive Weather Maker, which was actually pretty fun to play around with!

I'll leave you with a video he posted today on the chemistry of snowflakes:

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kelsey, this blogger is the keynote at the Riding the Wave conference in Gimli in May - you should go and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the focus on "free", you're not alone in that thinking! This resource sounds perfect for teachers, I'll be checking it out soon.

    ReplyDelete