Friday 30 January 2015

My Digital Footprint

Your Digital Footprint or Digital Identity is who and where you are online. Depending on whether you post online or use online curation, you may have a large or small digital footprint.

The easiest way to take a look at how you are portrayed online is to Google yourself and see what comes up. Unfortunately for me, even though I blog, use Pinterest, have an open Twitter account, and have two websites, when I Google myself, I do not even show up on the first page:


I wish I had control over what people see when they Google my name. I am careful to only post things online that I would be fine with my future employer and future children to see, however I can't control what the other Kelsey Jennings' of the world choose to post in (my?) name. I would hate to be turned down for a job because another Kelsey Jennings posted something inappropriate online, but all I have control over is what I post.

I think it's important that we encourage our students to Google themselves and see what comes up. Sometimes when we post something we think is private, it ends up being seen by far more than we would like.

I also believe that we have the choice to be the same person online as we are offline, or we can be a different person. While I think it is best to be a good person both on- and offline, and I try to do so, I can't trust that everyone is the same on both platforms. It's important that our students recognize this when they are interacting with others online. Digital Dualism exists, and we need to be careful of it.

3 comments:

  1. This is a fear of mine as well Kelsey! When I google either Alex Bell or my actual first name Kirsten Bell I get either Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the telephone, or "did you mean Kristen Bell?" the actress. Nope Google I didn't mean either of those. Both are such common names, I get worried an employer would think I'm someone else who has made tons of bad choices and posted them all for the world to see. As much as we are educating the next generation on internet know-how, I also see those who are likely to be interviewing and googling us, don't have very much internet savvy either. I think we can all benefit from learning when and when not to trust the information you get from "on the line".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of googling yourself to see what does come. When I looked myself up I fortunately didn't find anything I wouldn't want up there online along with many Scottish Bagpipers haha. You have to make sure you are not vulnerable to look unprofessional and make sure what you put online is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey, I didn't realize you were an actress? Also, you must really enjoying dying your hair and skin colour! Personally, I like the real Kelsey Jennings look the best!

    This is definitely a good example of our online identity and how we must be careful (and aware) of what is out there in our name! Thankfully, I don't really have that problem! ;)

    ReplyDelete