Wednesday 14 January 2015

Who am I online?

We've been talking a bit in (and out of) class about digital identities and digital dualism - basically who are you online, and is it the same as who you are "in real life"? I'd like to say that I am the same on and offline, but I'm not sure that's true, and here's why:

Offline (in real life) I don't always think through what I say. That can often backfire on me, as I can easily say something that is taken the wrong way and then have to backpedal. Thankfully, after three years of marriage I'm learning that it's probably a good idea to think before I speak, so I'm working on it

Online, I've always found it easier to think through what I post, probably because I see it there in text before I press "post" or "publish". Even now I'm stopping to re-read my sentences to make sure I won't be misinterpreted. Online, you have those few seconds to look over what you are saying before everyone hears.

Not everyone takes advantage of this, though. I see unbelievable amounts of comments that are passive aggressive, rude, or offensive, and I bet that if you were to question some of those people in person, some would be ashamed of what they wrote, or regret posting it altogether.

Often if I read a comment or an article that gets me fired up for one reason or another, I can be tempted to reply in a sarcastic or passive aggressive tone, but I'll stop myself before pressing enter. Because of my husband's position as a pastor and mine as a future teacher, I want to make sure that nothing I post online will come back to haunt me. This certainly doesn't mean I'm perfect, only that I have been taught that anything online lasts forever.

Whether you believe the internet counts as "real life" or not, I think it's important to make sure your digital identity is as much your identity as possible. I want to be able to teach my students that bullying online is the same as bullying in person, and that what you say online matters, and could come back to haunt you if you aren't careful. I hope that as our culture becomes more active online, they also become more "real" in their digital identities.




2 comments:

  1. I really agree with what you said about people not reading through their posts. I have had to check my friends and family's writing before they send it away. Also it is very frustrating when you see sarcasm or a joke online and someone takes offence to it and ties into the other person.

    ReplyDelete